Thursday, September 20, 2012

Camping for real

Something happens when the first trimester yuck fades away...  When I start feeling 'normal' after feeling crummy for so many months, I make 'bigger plans' than I probably should.  The kids kept asking when they were going to go 'camping for real' in the mountains & I felt my baby clock ticking (I certainly could not attempt camping next year with a newborn!) so we packed up the van, and headed up the Jemez mountains for an overnight camp out.  Jacob and Carter were happy to have Grandma R all to themselves and the big boys were ready to smell the campfire, look at the stars and explore the Forest. 

Lately the big man has been into journaling & that is the first thing he did when we got to the campsite... He pulled up a chair, drew a picture of what he saw and stuck it in his journal :). 
 Team work to get the fire started before the sun went down.

Kyle spent a lot of the trip picking me flowers, what a sweetheart! 
 Mike and his dad
 "It's dark outside, can we roast marshmallows yet?"
 Yum!
 Time for some card games and talks on grandpa's lap.
 
 Cold morning huddle by the fire eating breakfast.
 Technology allowed Kyle to give Jake a call to see how he was doing, I think the partners in crime missed each other!
 Hike through the woods.
 View point of the Jemez Falls... Notice the rock the man is standing on-
Here is the same rock, this time Mike and the boys looking straight down... Do you notice the death grip that Mike has on Kyle?
 The big boys of the family.
 Josh made a bow and arrow from sticks and string that he found.
 Grandpa & Kyle made a boat that they watched go down the water fall.

 He was on top of the world!
 So was he!
  Part of our family :). 
 J & K liked to find the biggest rock they could and climb to the top.   
 
I forgot how much work camping is (this is the first time I was the 'camp mom'!) & I don't advise anyone who is pregnant to sleep on the ground even if you have foam padding!  But... The joy and smiles of the boys made it all worth it :)! 

No comments: