Tuesday, December 21, 2010

and then it Snowed and Snowed and Snowed!!

Ironically the cloudy morning that it rained, we read the book "The Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats... It was on our winter reading list as I had hoped that we would have snow by the middle of Dec!  The boys enjoyed the story but didn't have a recent experience to pull from to really get into the book.  I had no idea what the afternoon would bring.

...Thursday afternoon after our rain play, we all took naps and awoke to a snow covered backyard and big fluffy snowflakes falling hard!  The boys were in awe and we immediately went searching for hats and mittens.  We got out there quickly to play before dark because snow around here does not last.

J had to process another new experience and seemed a bit confused!
 I think he liked it!
 Why is the backyard white?
 Snowball fights!
 K figured out how to eat the snow without getting any parts of his body wet...
 fun.
 fun.
 fun.
 They played until dark and came in for hot chocolate. 
The outdoor clothing aftermath... What do people do that get this kind of weather all the time?!  This was from ~1 hour of play time in one day... What a wet soggy mess!
 Not expecting much more, we were pleasantly suprised to see this, the next morning!
 4-5" of snow...
 Pretty winter wonderland.
 Mike stayed home for the morning and the boys and him built a snow man.

It still never got that cold, it was gone by Saturday and back to the sunny 50-60 degree days.  I wish it stayed around a little longer, but I am happy we got a snow fix!  Today we read "The Snowy Day" again and I think they understood the bliss of a snow covered day better ;).

2 comments:

Coby said...

The picture of K. eating the snow in that crazy position is absolutely priceless! Thanks for the smiles!

Amy said...

What an eventful day for the boys...and you keeping up with all the gear. I must say the picture of Kyle is hilarious!!!! What a great capture!