Sunday, December 26, 2010

We have been busy this week!

Baking, cleaning, crafting... It was a busy, busy, busy week!  Alongside friend and family gatherings, last minute shopping and sitting back with the kids to remember the reason for the season, we attempted to soak up the fun festive parts of getting creative.  

Day 1: Gingerbread house- we took the easy way out and bought a kit, but the kids enjoyed building, decorating & of course eating the candy!
"Wow look at all that candy!"
 Decorating and admiring
 Hummm... Note to self, "Don't eat the yellow candies!".
 Proud little ones!



Day 2: Ornament decorating-  I saw this idea on a few different blogs and decided to try our hands at it (literally!).  They are hand print snowman keepsake tree decorations- we made them for several local family members and I kept a set myself.

A bit messy, but all in good fun and the kids had fun having their hands painted!

 After the hand print paint dried, I used paint pens and a black Sharpie to decorate...


Day 3- Sugar cut out cookies: We made them soft baked this year following this recipe.  I made the dough with the kids in the morning and Josh & I rolled out the refrigerated dough while the younger ones were napping.  J & K helped me decorate!
I used dowels to make the cutouts thick and even
 ready to bake
 ~8 minutes later, all puffed up and soft baked!
 Decorating...

Day 4: Peanut Brittle- I make this every year and this year I want to share this super simple recipe that I wrote down many years ago... Unfortunately I don't have the original source, but here is the recipe that I follow.  It takes about 20mins from start to finish and makes a great gift and if you bring it to a party, people will think that you worked a lot harder on making it! 

Quick and easy Microwave Peanut Brittle:

Ingredients


1 1/2 cups peanuts
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

First, grease a baking sheet and set aside (I stick mine in a warm oven while waiting so that the mixture spreads easier in the end).  Then gather all your ingredients.

 In a glass bowl, combine peanuts, sugar and corn syrup. Cook in microwave for 6 to 7 minutes.

 Mixture should be bubbly and peanuts slightly brown. Stir in butter and vanilla; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.


Quickly stir in baking soda, just until mixture is foamy. Pour immediately onto greased baking sheet and tilt to let the brittle spread out. Let cool until set. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.


After baking all that, I was ready to go out the door with a platter full of goodies!

2 comments:

carin said...

Josh still talks about your peanut brittle! We love it!

I admire how much of a hands on mommy you are and all of the crafts you do with the boys! I noticed your Christmas chair covers. I bet you made those huh? You're so crafty!! xoxoxox

carin said...

I remember seeing your post after Christmas and I'm finally going to make this today for Josh to bring to our staff tonight at the restaurant. miss you!!!