Sunday, August 4, 2013

fish and lizards

I have boys... I know that we are going to have endless encounters with 'pets'... I just tend to prefer the furry ones.  That is not so much the case as our curious animal lovers.  Lizards are a natural part of our backyard, they are seen daily running across our block walls.  They are caught on a weekly basis... That is where the story started.  Josh decided he wanted to use his earned money to by a 'real lizard cage'.  To the pet store we went... and asked about lizards as the kids fell in love with the 'pet lizards' that were sold in the store.  I asked what was needed/how much it cost to keep a lizard as a pet and the guy sold me on buying a gold fish instead.  Not sure how I fell for it, but I did, it was the sweet little smiles that looked up at me that convinced me that we 'needed' a gold fish.  And of course we can't walk out the door with only 1, we got 3 (they were only $0.15 you know).  The big box pet store worker told me they should be just fine in a 2 gallon bowl that I already had.  He was wrong as I discovered a day too late when I saw that their water was cloudy only hours after setting it up for them.  I read that you should never put a gold fish in an unfiltered fish bowl (let alone 3!).  To the store I went again to buy a filtered tank for these 45 cent fish that I couldn't flush down the toilet because they became our pets.  So that is how I acquired a new weekly chore of cleaning a fish tank ;). 
the fun in watching our new pets
 one of the many 'day pets' that we acquire.
 this little guy has some very cool blue markings on his underside.
 Josh did end up buying a cage for the caught lizards, here they are setting it up. 
 they did a good job.
 And here is the new permanent pet in his 'tank'. Ironically after all that only one is still alive!
 Kyle named him 'Shiny'. 

No comments: