Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I did it!!!

Any mom can tell you that her job is never done.  A mom will always be a mom and be concerned about the well being of her baby no matter if her baby is a newborn or 40 years old, the caring just never stops!  Being a mom of 3 little ones has brought my daytime job to a never ending battle... Endless laundry, endless cooking, endless dishes, endless picking up toys, endless diaper changes- I think you get the point.  Not that I am complaining about my job because I do LOVE it, I just get a little overwhelmed with the endless monotony of the chores that are required.  With that said, I think I figured out why moms start picking up hobbies and crafts...  We need a sense of completion, a project that we can put a check mark next to at the end of the day and not have to worry about it starting over the next day.  I certainly got that smile inside me this weekend when I completed my first real sewing project!  I stayed up way to late and paid for it the next day, but to be able to figure it out and have a finished product (that I can use) was more than enough to recharge my mind.  

With some inspiration from my friend Jessica and a few links that she sent me that had tutorials on how to make things, all I needed was a quick trip to the fabric store & I was ready to begin.

It started with a wallet that I had been eyeing for a while, but didn't act on making it until mine broke about a week ago.  This pattern was so simple and it came out so well- I think it was just what I needed to give me some sewing confidence!  Here is the link if you are interested: wallet pattern.

This really is a practical and cute wallet... It is much trimmer than my previous one, yet holds just as much.  You can't see in the picture, but the back pocket fits change and dollar bills without spilling them.
The wallet was actually completed about a week before the purse, I loved the new wallet but it drove me crazy that it totally clashed with my at the time current purse.  So my next goal was to find a good deal on a new purse or attempt to make one.  I am glad I went with plan B!  The link to this tutorial can be found here: purse.

It is a messenger style bag with a ruffle flap and adjustable strap.
The colors are a bit springy, maybe I will just have to make another for this coming fall :)!
I added a back pocket after a suggestion from Jessica... Perfect for all those loose papers (receipts, coupons, lists, etc) that end up floating in the big part of my purse.
Jessica also suggested an internal pocket system for your wallet and cell phone, so I had to add that too.



I am happy with the end result, I think if I did it over again, I would make the strap a bit wider.  I can't wait to find some more fun stuff to make!

1 comment:

Amy said...

That's really cute Sarah! Great job!!!