Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving tradition- Lefse

My grandmother's family is from Norway and one of the traditions that they have brought to the numerous families that have branched out from theirs is a treat called Norwegian Lefse.  I grew up eating it every time we spent a Thanksgiving or Christmas with my Grandma. When I was a teenager, my mom taught me how to make it and every couple of years we get together to keep that tradition alive.  This was one of those years :).  I suppose I feel particularly motivated to keep the tradition alive for the boys too.  Come roll up your sleeves and watch as we peel the potatoes, turn the griddle on and let the flour fly. 
Ummm, there is nothing quite like Lefse!
 Ingredient list:
5lbs peeled potatoes
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup butter
1/2 T salt
1/2 T sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
 cook the potatoes, rice them if you have a ricer (we took the easy way out this year and just mashed them) and mash together with the butter, cream, salt and sugar.  Refrigerate overnight or for a few hours.
 After the potato mixture is cold, stir and knead the flour into until it isn't sticky.
 Make sure you have your apron on, things get a bit messy!  Did you notice that we have special Lefse aprons? These were bought by dad many years ago :).
 Pull off golf ball size potions, put them in a bowl, cover and put into the refrigerator. 
 Take one ball out at a time and roll it out as thin as possible... Do I look Norwegian yet?

 Use a stick to transfer the rolled out dough to the griddle (yes, they make specially designed tools just for Lefse!). 
 The flipper in action! By the way the griddle should be heated to 400 degrees.

 Pretty lacey ripples and pale spots... Just the way it is supposed to be!
 Can't have homemade Lefse without the mess...
 We made a huge mound, enough for Christmas dinner too!  It freezes nicely.
 Yummy, chewy, stretchy, creamy, buttery potato goodness!
 Spread on some more butter, sprinkle some sugar & enjoy!
 Happy Thanksgiving! 

1 comment:

Jes said...

They look delicious! I love seeing the tradition continue.