Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Homemade powder laundry detergent

Laundry, it constantly piles up, growing bigger by the day and then explodes every Monday during laundry day.  The explosion consists of dirty, stinky soiled clothes that need to be sorted, washed, dried, folded and put away or else the laundry monster will come and take over my house.  The laundry monster is a frequent visitor to our house...  Well at least the folding and put away monster is always lurking in the corners of our house.  It seems that I can never be fully done (even for a day!) with this chore.   

A friend recently shared a potentially time and money saver in this department... Homemade powder laundry detergent.  I haven't actually done the math myself, but it is supposed to only cost a couple of pennies per load!  I bought the ingredients and have had them on hand for awhile and I was grateful I did because last week, I ran out of detergent in the middle of washing my pile!  I whipped it together in a just a few minutes... Too bad it doesn't put the folded clothes away for me! 

Super simple- 1 cup Washing Soda, 1 cup Borax and 1 bar of laundry soup shredded up.

I used a cheese grater, it grated like hard cheese- The scent is refreshing!

Just to make it finer, I stuck it in the blender for a few seconds.

Combine all the ingredients and place it in a storage jar. 

1-3 Tablespoons per load (depending on how soiled the clothes are!). 

My friend also had homemade dishwasher soap... I just might have to ask her about that too!

No comments: