Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ice Cream Cake

I waited to the last minute to come up with a cake idea for little J's birthday, I guess baking does not appeal to me much during the hot of the summer!  So instead of baking a cake for an hour in the hot oven, I freeze baked it!  I found some simple instructions for making an ice cream cake at home... 

First, you ask a very eager 2 year old birthday boy to help you lick mix the ingredients together.
 You are going to want to have some cookies on hand for the crust... I baked some quick peanut butter cookies, but you could use packaged cookies or anything else that is sweet and crumbles!
 Line a spring form cake pan with cookies and then crumble more of them in a separate bowl and mix them with some melted butter.  Then put the crumbled mixture on top of the layer of cookies.
 Mix some slightly thawed out ice cream (flavor of your choice!) to get a smooth consistency and add candy mix ins of your liking.
 Fill the spring form pan with the ice cream mixture.
 Freeze for about 4 hours (or more if you have the time).  Then whip up some heavy cream and frost the cake with it. 
 Decorate and then freeze for another 3-4 hours.  Let thaw for about 10 minutes before serving. 

Pretty Easy Peasey if you have the time to let it freeze properly... I was a little short of time so it turned out a bit melty, but I don't think the birthday boy minded! It will be a fun recipe to try again and again with different flavors.

No comments: