Friday, July 29, 2011

Pool Days!

If you asked me a few months ago if I would be going to the pool this summer, I would tell you of course not...

My childhood summers were spent at the pool and I was a life guard for four summers, so I have good memories of spending lots of hot days at the pool.  I hoped to share that experience with my boys, but thought this year there would be no way to do that with their ages.  Watching the boys love the water in our back yard, I wanted to work with J & K in deeper water to get some swimming skills under their belts.  My mom and I were able to sneak out to our community pool after dinner/on the weekends a couple times a week with 2 or 3 of the older kids to get them used to the water and just have fun. 

It started as baby pool fun... Watch out for the splash! 
 Not sure this should be attempted in the shallow water?!  On to the big pool we go!
 Fun times jumping from the edge, blowing bubbles, throwing them like beach balls...
 Keeping track of them was definitely a 2 person job, thanks mom!
 Grandma and little J had fun throwing the ball and swimming to catch it.
 K was cold, but didn't want to get out.
 It was strange that little J didn't seem timid at all... I guess he saw his big brothers having so much fun he didn't want to miss out. 


I first enrolled J in lessons thinking I could take the other kids to the baby pool while he was in his lesson... Well, we quickly ended up in the big pool.  Myself & my 3 littlest ducklings that is!   K and little J learned their boundaries and we had a great 2 weeks of day camping and splashing at the pool.  The kids learned a few new skills too. 

 Swimming with his arms and breathing to the side... He did this stroke half the length of the pool :). 
 K had lessons too.  He swam underwater to catch some rings and kicked with a kick board. 


After swim class, it was time to play!  

 Jumping, watch out below!
 Super hero dives!
 He was off to save the day!
 A couple of times we met some friends there... This particular day there were 10 boys (11 if you include C)- they took over the baby pool during adult swim.  When they got a little rowdy, we encouraged the one 8 year old boy to get them to calm down... He did better than all of us moms combined!  They were in awe of this older kid!
 The younger boys of the group.
 Oh yeah, forgot to include the one little girl of the group... Boy is she out numbered!
 Good times at the pool!

1 comment:

Cavinder Family said...

So cool! Glad that you could make it to the pool this summer!!