I have started a reward system with big J and it is working wonders with his attitude and willingness to help. I was flustered one afternoon with his whining and complaining when asked to do something, so I took out an old jam jar and told him that he was going to start earning pennies for 'Happy Heart' responses. In other words, if he says "Yes, mom" in a nice voice after I ask him to do something like put his toys away, then I will give him a penny. If he shows helpfulness and/or encourages his brothers to do the right thing, then he gets a penny... I am sure you get the point. This kiddo understood the system right away and it can almost seem embarrassing in a public situation when he eagerly says "YES, Mom!!!" and does what he is told. It took him a little over a week to earn his first dollar, and boy was he excited and ready to head to the dollar store to buy his reward.
It is a learning experience... working hard for a reward and learning the value of money- 25 pennies= 1 quarter and 4 quarters=1 dollar.
He also got to practice counting lots of pennies ;). He wanted to recount his total just about every time he recieved a new penny.
What did he buy with that lucky dollar?
A plastic bow and arrow toy set!
It gave him something to shoot for ;)!
His eyes are set on a bigger prize next time, we will see how long he can hold off and save his hard earned dollars!
1 comment:
I actually love this reward system! I think C would be similarly motivated since she loves collecting money.
Post a Comment