Monday, November 23, 2009

More sun flare...

I had fun learning a new technique in photography called sunflare... I learned that using a low aperture (higher number value) I could capture the sun beams.  All I needed to accomplish this was a setting change on my camera (I set mine to f/22) and to get the sun in the back of the subject that I was photographing.  Ironically, just a couple of days ago I was on a walk with the kids and Josh told me that he saw the lasers in the street light (we were heading home around dusk)... I looked at him to figure out what he was talking about and saw that his eyes were squinted as he looked at the light.  I squinted my own eyes and saw beams in the street light by turning the aperture of my eyes way down!  What a great visual analogy to how the aperture in a camera works.  The down fall to this (as I soon found out after taking lots of pictures) is that the lighting isn't the best, so most of the time the subject was dark and grainy.  I used my bounce flash on a few of the pictures and that certainly helped sharpen and brighten the subject, but you lost some of the effects of the sun flare.  So until next time, I am still trying to figure this all out--- But here are some learning examples! 













2 comments:

Jacob said...

Hi,
Found your blog while searching for other photography blogs.

I really love this technique, something I have never tried, but I will definitely give it a go next time I'm out with the camera.

My favourite is the second last photo - the B/W really sets it off - one definitely worth printing in my opinion!

Cheers, Jacob.

Amy said...

These are awesome Sarah!! I'm so glad you shared these. Can't wait to see you guys!!