Saturday, June 12, 2010

diapers

Stinky wet diapers!  We go through our fair share with 2 kids in them full time and one still in them at night.... Needless to say, we can shell out a lot of money for these little poop collectors!  I started using cloth diapers when Kyle was a couple months old, but when he was only 6 months old I got a surprise in my belly (little J) and that process went out the window real quick with the morning sickness!  I wasn't very well equipped to properly clean and store the used diapers that time around.  So to motivate me to get started again I ordered a wetbag (to store the used diapers in without an odor), a few extra fun colored diapers and had Mike install a DIY diaper sprayer.  Here we are 2.5 weeks into it and we are still going strong & I haven't had to buy any of the 'sposies!


This is my 'Stash'... the covers, inserts, pads & flushable poop screen liners (these make the poop less messy and they can be dumped in the toilet to be flushed). 
The inserts snap into the cover and then the pads absorb the waste. This is the sprayer that we made last weekend, its very powerful and does its job well :). 
Who could resist this cute little cowboy bottom or this crawling bottom?!

Reviews say that if you use this diaper system full time, you would pay them off in about 6-9 months (and that is only having one kiddo use them) as compared to 2.5-3 years of paying for disposable diapers.  I got most of my G diapers new from Craig's List and actually sold the size small ones the came with the set on EBay and recouped all the money I spent on the that whole set!  I have since bought a few new pairs, a wet bag and the supplies to make the diaper sprayer- but my total spending totaled about the cost of ~2 boxes of Huggies (which we could easily go through in about 2 month's time!).   The other nice thing is believe it or not, the used diapers sell for a pretty penny online after you are done using them! 

Yes, there is extra work involved.  But, I plan stay home a lot more this coming year and parts of this way of doing it make it more convenient (I don't have to load a big box of diaper into the overstuffed shopping cart at Costco), it is cheaper and it is better for the environment :)! 

1 comment:

Amy said...

You look super organized! Love those cute little tooshies!