Some of my best memories of visiting my grandmother as a kid, was sewing with her. She allowed us to use any of her scraps and her machine to make doll clothes, little quilts & pillow covers. While I never 'learned' to sew, I gained an appreciation for it. Having my own kids has inspired me to learn how to sew so that I can make them stuff, fix their stuff and just get creative to turn old clothes into 'new ones'.
My friend recently came across a sewing machine at an estate sale, so I bought it and finally (several weeks later) I decided to 'play around' with it... The inspiration for this attempt at a creation is from a clothing catalog that I recently came across- mini Boden... So cute but a bit to costly for me. Josh is really into octopuses so I jumped at the chance to make him a shirt with one on it, but I guess I wasn't thinking clearly as this was my first 'real' sewing project and do you know how difficult it is to get around all eight legs of that creature?! Well, in the end he liked it and it gave me some good practice! Better luck to me next time :).
I cut out a template of an octopus out of paper, found an old stained up outgrown outfit from one of the kids and pulled out a white undershirt from Josh's drawer.
I cut the fabric octopus out and applied it to the shirt with fabric glue.
I ironed it on to seal the glue...
Then the fun frustration began at the sewing machine!
It is all sewn on, but don't look too closely! The jagged edges will give it a rugged look after it is washed.
I added buttons for the eyes and all done! This is J pretending to be an octopus.
He doesn't care about all the imperfections in it, he knows it was made from the heart and its an OCTOPUS!
I am actually taking a sewing class in the morning to make a toddler sized bib, I am very excited to 'learn' the proper ways to sewing!
No comments:
Post a Comment